24 Lessons in 24 Years 💛
Hi everyone! How is everything going?
I missed writing so much… y’all have no
idea how much I missed sitting to my keyboard to create and share thoughts! But
I guess it’s been impossible with everything that has taken place in 2022! I
owe you an explanation and an update but all I can say is that professional
life is so different from the laid back student life. I’m still learning and I
hope one day I’ll be able to manage things and make time for things equally …
Anyways! Little info: yours truly turned 24
years old last march! Wow! It still feels unreal especially with the fact that
back then so much was going on that I couldn’t really talk about what it felt
like or what I wanted to do from that day onwards. Sometimes we get seriously
overwhelmed and it can take a long time to get things figured out..
That’s what brings me here today! In
today’s blog post, I’ll be sharing 24 lessons I learnt in 24 years of life.
It’s a mix of things I experienced directly or learned from watching other
people do their life and then formed my own understanding of the matter.
I hope you find today’s post relatable and
helpful… and small note; you don’t have to be 24 to relate to this! I feel that
young adults go through the same challenges with different degrees of
difficulty. So always adjust what you read on the internet to your own pace.
With that being said, here are 24 lessons I
learnt in 24 years!
Ps: These lessons are not ordered by degree of
importance. I have written them in the order in which they flashed inside my
head
Ps 2: ‘Y.A’= Young Adults
-----------------------------------------
1. The World does not owe you Anything:
We often tend to stress and worry about so
many things. It’s more common that we worry about what we can’t see or control…
can I say the future? Or maybe fixing the past? We always forget that all we
have is now… That little moment that gets stolen so fast since it’s off the
scope of attention and interest while it lasts. As young adults, we worry a lot
about A LOT and get disappointed whenever things take different turns or end up
happening another way. We even get mad as if the world is promised to be easy
and run our way. The challenge is; dear readers, to adjust to the situation as
it is without having any expectations that something would somehow distort
itself to fit the already imagined narrative. It gets easier this way I
promise!
2. People are there for a purpose:
People love to believe in signals, flags
and signs. They feel like they are one step ahead if they can interpret a
gesture or a move and eventually, anticipate how good or bad it might be. This
very sign can be a human being. In the same regard, human beings are expected
to stay for a long time in our lives! The “forever” they say. Let me break it
to you, you may; by now, have met thousands of people already. Still you’ll
remember the ones that meant the most. Or mean the most. This “most” is in my
opinion the influence or impact that have over you. And this influence is why
there were introduced to your life to begin with. To teach you a lesson. I’ll
tell you a story! Earlier in 2022, I met a very random person in a much
unplanned setting. I can roughly say that I spoke to them for less than 3
minutes. Still, I came back home sobbing! Just because I thought they were too
mentally healthy! They got me thinking about some things that I’ve avoided for
years. Since that encounter, I underwent a depressive episode that was –and might
still be- is one of the most severe I’ve ever undergone. I finally decided to
go see a therapist and get help. Since that day, I became more aware and in a
sort, proud? I felt that I took responsibility over my mental health for the
first time as an adult. The road is still wrong to go through everything and
maybe be able to finally tolerate the past and be happier with the present!
Moral of the story is I haven’t met this
person again despite the multiple occasions I’ve had! They either did not show
up or I did not show up. But for sure I knew, at a very epiphanic moment, that
this person’s job was to send me to therapy! And I felt extremely grateful.
This is one example from many… and I’m sure
many of you have had this experience at least once in their lifetime! Try to
remember whoever had this sort of influence and be grateful to them!
I definitely do not imply that people in
the form of messages carry nothing but positivity! On the contrary! As a 24
years old woman struggling with anxiety, depression and trauma; I can firmly
say that whatever I’m mentally going through is because of human beings’ words
or actions. So it’s important to know that lessons are often learnt after
difficult and sad experiences. Thus, give yourself time and keep in mind that
you’re growing through everything!
3. You are more than your Trauma:
Our generation has been through a lot and
it’s not spoken about whatsoever. Internet makes it a lot easier nowadays to
recognize some patterns and try to seek help and get better both mentally and
physically. In some cases, people identify their trauma and this blocks them! Their
sad experience becomes what and who they are! They feel unworthy and unable to
move forward in life just because of how blocked and crippled they are. I can
personally relate to this but I luckily learned that most of the time, we are
not the direct reason behind our trauma. We are indeed victims. We don’t owe
the world a second chance but we rather need to earn it. I honestly feel like
our blockage is in our minds. Whoever traumatized you isn’t really out there
watching you blocked and laughing at you! High chances they don’t care at all.
So your growth is what YOU owe YOURSELF. So always remember that whatever
happens to you, the cause and the consequence, is in your hands to improve. And
you’ll most definitely do it when the right time comes!
4. Material Possessions will not conceal emotional Void:
It is common on social media that shopping
after a sad day will make you feel better! “Sad? Get a new bag!” “Get a haircut!”
People say. I often wonder; do people who give this kind of advice mean what
they’re saying? Or they’re just pretending that it works when it doesn’t in
reality?
Let me give you how the narrative will go, let’s
say you’re sad or angry or whatever that you’re feeling. You are unable to
label the feeling, the reasons or even figure out a short term solution. You
listen to your bimbo friend who advises you to go shopping or eating waffles!
The common thing between all of these things is money. This person is implying
that spending money will make you feel better. This generation is obsessed with
materialism! In a way, you can control your money, so you spend it on dumb
things… and this will empower you somehow? No. all you’d feel is self blame
because deep down, you know that you’re sad because of that one situation that
the bag and waffles will never improve or fix! So instead of running away from
your feelings, face them. Write them down! Use your audio notes app! Go on
texting apps and talk it out as it happened!
Money will never fix your mental health
unless you spend it on therapy… or travel.
5. Your ‘Dream Job’ is a privilege:
Let’s get things straight. The “what do you
want to become in the future?” question is probably the silliest question to
ask in the world. When I was young, my late granny had heart problems. And I
was 6, I told her: “I’ll grow up, become a doctor and save you!” I had no idea
what it takes to become a doctor let alone a cardiologist! When I was 8, my
granny passed away. I was sad and devastated. Little me had no more motive to
become a doctor so I dropped the idea of my head altogether. Back in high
school I switched streams (from scientific to literary) just because I was more
interested in foreign languages. In my HS senior year, I had this idea of
becoming a teacher. 2 months before the BAC exam (College entrance Exams in
Algeria), my father said I was not allowed to study outside my state. I was
literally at the verge of losing it all. Imagine 16 years old, full of “dreams”
and an adult recklessly shattering them because they’re a protective parent! It
was a miracle that the college I wanted to join opened in my state. I will
forever believe that God made it happen for me. I studied and graduated and I
have a full time job and am gratefully able to afford my basic and extra needs.
The moral of this story is that not all of
us have the possibility to drop out of college or school to “follow our
dreams”. Some things take a lot more than the passion you have for something!
And at the end of the day, destiny is real and your life is meant to be yours
for a very long time now. God will always choose what is best for you. Whether
you like it or not while it happens; you will eventually understand the wisdom
behind God’s plan when it’s the best time. So wherever you are with life now,
just do your best and be genuine. Honesty is that stable value that will always
reward you whatever!
6. Gratitude will change your life:
In Islam, there is this verse in Quran in
which Allah speaks about gratitude and how grateful people get to enjoy more
blessings. People show gratitude in big events often. Facebook posts in which
people announce their marriage, graduation, buying a new house, a new car and
so on… which is kind of weird! I’ve grown to believe that the things we never
thank God for are what make life special and worth living. The way we are woken
by an alarm, we hear the alarm blasting in the morning. We turn to one side to switch
it off. We feel our legs and hands. We see the light coming from that
rectangular screen. Then we say that short Morning Prayer. We are able to speak.
We go wash up and get ready for the day. We are mentally sane to process that
one organized pattern we ungratefully call a boring routine. It’s the roof and
the water and people and peace which we take for granted that make life
desirable. I genuinely love everyone who’s reading this to be grateful for
whatever they have; good or bad. It’s god’s plan… the best plan… just for you!
A limited edition.
7. You’ll always be criticized for what you look like:
As a person who has a shifting shape
pattern ever since I was a kid; I can talk for days about this topic! Yet I
don’t want to bore you heheh! So I will try my best to be concise and get to
the point straight. People and society will always have something to say about
the way you look. Whether you respond to the current standard or not, you will
never achieve the expectation they have of you. It might hurt you if your life
revolves around “looking” a certain way. But if not, let me tell you that what
matters the most is the way you perceive yourself. Your relationship with your
body is your thing and yours only. Others will never be you and will never
understand whatever that you go through. Back in 2018, I was THE standard.
People used to come up to me wondering what I “did” to look the way I did after
being “not the best looking!”! That “fat” girl inside of me was often confused!
Like how are these people talking to me nicely all of a sudden? They know I’m
the same person right? And then it all clicked. People love the image they made
in their heads about you! And your job is to live up to that image. If not,
then you’re not it! It didn’t take long for me to understand that pattern and
withdraw from it. If I’m not welcome in a “shape” then no one deserve to take
that other shape for granted! Put your
health as your top priority and the rest is none of your responsibility.
8. Education is Intimidating:
I can never stress this one enough
especially for girls and women. Society has painted women as weak passive beings
for so long now. That any shift from this frame will raise questions and paint
women in this light of “trying to show off/ act manly and strong”… when in
fact, society is intimidated by educated women. Intellectual women are often
rational, have strong personalities and never settle for less than what they
deserve. This means that they can’t get swayed by words and empty promises and
half hearted actions. Educated women have a roadmap in their heads about what
should happen and how it should happen; which eliminates the smallest of
chances to get them believing anything that doesn’t have a scientific or
logical –to say the least- background. The social power dynamic was built
millions of years ago, with women being the weakest in the chain. Educating
women will shift that power dynamic and create a new standard for life.
Eradicate gender roles and promote equality and fair share of opportunities.
The world is not ready for such a grand change! As a woman, and to my fellow
women: let’s keep pushing the boundary! We’ll get to that one point one day!
9. Limiting Parents’ Access to your Business isn’t ungrateful:
Unlike other countries and communities, the
Muslim family holds its members together until they figure life out on their
own. Aka get married and start a family (often with 0 Education or Preparation,
just fate!). Some parents cannot make the difference between guarding their
children and providing a decent life to them and literally controlling their
children’s lives to the point where they can’t decide in anything and grow
extremely dependent and selfless. If a son or daughter ever decides to see the
world for themselves, they’re immediately called ungrateful. For what? The bare
minimum that is the food and the roof? I’m one of the biggest believers that not all
couples can be good parents. We, as human beings, choose to be parents or not!
Affording for a baby that you made isn’t something this baby must show
gratitude for! They may be grateful for their family … to God! But never to
their parents, for food and shelter! You can’t expect to be rewarded double for
something you willingly chose to undergo. Aware –or not- about how serious it
is!
Setting healthy boundaries with parents is
one of the biggest challenges in life. I’m not urging anyone to cut ties with
their parents! Absolutely not! But still, as you grow up, you become
responsible for yourself and for whatever that happens to you. You can’t be
24yo adult and blame another adult who has probably had you at that age for
whatever you’re going through…or even be expected to show gratitude to them for
keeping you in their house after they decided to have you! I sometimes feel
like some parents either treat their children as property; or as a being that
will never grow up!
You will be able to handle it…just the way
old people did! Back when they had nothing! Now we have everything… so?
10.
The “you won’t be 24 forever” is capitalism
pooping off:
I have recently been going on a single day
road trips! And it has been the best time to be honest! I get to meet new
people and do new things and learn about life every time. There is still so
much to see. And I will never be able to see the whole planet at the age of 24!
This sounds just ridiculous! As I go on Instagram, I see reels of people sky
diving, paragliding, riding motorcycles and doing different activities. The
caption or audio is often: you won’t be young forever! You still have the world
to see! And so on….
What came to my mind is: these people live
in the same world with us, right? They must know about Covid, inflated
economies, joblessness and life in general? With its responsibilities and highs
and lows?! They know about ecological problems …. Ever heard of global warming?
Flight prices? I wonder.
I feel like the more I watch such content, I’m
gas lighted into thinking that I am wasting my years… just because I didn’t
jump off that cliff, or didn’t bathe with elephants in Bali!
What is ironic is that travelling is
demanding! It requires a lot of material things to ensure a good trip! 4x4 rides
for difficult roads, hiking shoes, cargo pants, a smart watch for extreme
cases, good quality tents, hammocks, light headbands, eco friendly utensils,
bio degradable food packages in case you don’t gather everything after you
leave, medications…. That’s literally what came to my mind right now. And I’m
sure there is a lot more. I’m sure we all agree that these things cost money,
right? So how can you expect a 24 years old who is most probably a college
student, or in the best cases has an average paying job to afford a whole “jungle”
themed lifestyle to be told: you’re living your life the right way! They have 2
of 2 options to be able to have this kind of life: 1. they’re born rich or 2.
They make enough money to afford trips; which in most cases will require a very
good paying full time job or multiple part time jobs. So when is this poor 24yo
dreamer going to travel when they’re working nonstop trying to make money to
afford trips? It sounds a lot more complicated than it should be… truly
speaking.
In my opinion, if you are not doing this as
your job, don’t make such extreme investments for fast joy! You’ll climb that
mountain and sleep under the stars when it’s YOUR time! It has nothing to do
with your age! Adrenaline is impulsive! And dangerous. It can lead people to
act like brainless beings then go ahead and call it “my best life” the very
next moments. Adrenaline numbs people…. it makes them do things just so that
they don’t deceive their expectations of how crazy they are; or the other
people around them. In both cases: it’s not who they really are.
You’ll do what you’re meant to do. Whatever
God has in store for you, will never pass you by.
11.
Allow yourself to grow / 12. Forgive
yourself:
We love change by nature! And we often like
to have shifts every now and then. Some call them phases, you like a certain
type of music, a kind of food or you develop a new favorite routine… then it
changes. What we often forget is that change takes time. It is a whole process
that shouldn’t be interrupted.
Sometimes, we work so hard to become this best version of ourselves. And
we make it! We are our IT person. The best version they say…
Then we forget that we are human. We forget
that it is okay to decline, to go back a little… to change. This change is
often not well received or welcome. It is almost like we are scared to change…
again. Stuck in that one version we worked hard to make. The best.
I want to remind you of that one saying
that goes: it’s easy to get to the top but it’s difficult to stay at the top.
We say this often about our favourite artists or football teams when they have
a rough patch going. But we forget that it happens to us too. And we do tear
ourselves, unlike other people; to whom we send supportive words and
encouraging affirmations! That’s how bad we are to ourselves… we don’t give it
time. We act in a harsh and angry way and we never give ourselves the time to
breathe or ever fully understand what happened or what led to this degradation.
Let me tell you that declining is
inevitable. You will be less than that perfect person you made! But good news
is: you will not be the same again. In
fact, you will no longer relate to that person.
You will miss them and want to be them
again, but you will never be able to. Remember when I said that people are
messages? This very best version of yourself is your message! Whatever people
call a glow up, comes after one or multiple sad and shocking events. And it is
so cool while it lasts. But know that, the best version you made 2 years ago
isn’t compatible with the new challenges. It becomes outdated! And old!
Therefore, needless.
You are a lot more than that one model you
design and imagine that you’ll stick to forever, you renew your inner self just
as days and nights switch… you are better than that version… trust me… and life
will make you see that with your own eyes. Just be nicer to yourself.
13.
Be mindful of who you take advice from:
It is natural to relate to other people’s
experiences and opinions. But have you ever questioned the intentions of those
people you listen to? What makes their experience a basis you can build upon?
What makes them reliable?
In my life, I have learnt that not everyone
“advising” me wants what’s best for me. Some can be driven by envy, jealousy
and hatred. Others have this illness of not wanting to see others doing good in
their life. They want you to rot deep down and lose it all..Just so they could
come back into your life and pretend to worry.
A green flag in an “advisor” can be, in my
opinion, someone who would weigh things logically and deal with the matter as a
given situation and not adjust it to human beings’ ability and preference…Someone
who wouldn’t make you feel like you’re the angel though you’re the one at
fault. And someone who would trust your further judgement.. This leads to my
next point.
14.
Influence is true:
The 2010s and 2020s are the age of
influence. People spend more time on their phones than with actual people. This
has been characterized by the appearance and spread of this concept of
“influence” and “influencers”.
The idea was simple, a person who promotes
free products they receive on social media. In no time, these very simple
people were elevated to the rank of celebrities. People follow them online and
in real life! They sell out whatever X or Y swears by! They dress like this or
that influencer and go to the same restaurants and cafes they enjoy!
The above is a short description of a
regular unemployed teen/ young adult. It’s the passiveness we’re looking at
here! The way people no longer have their opinions and put immense faith and
trust into what complete strangers do or say! This blind and irrational loyalty
ends up making people lose their sense of self… the sense of being a person
that thinks and has opinions. This doesn’t only apply to getting an external
influence to buy this or that item. It’s about life in general. It might start
with you enjoying certain things then wanting to become this other person that
shares 0.0001% of their life online. Gratitude can help in such a case
especially knowing that not all what we see online is true.
15.
People will treat you the way you treat
yourself:
The math is quite easy behind this one: you
get back what you give. In the sense that, if you value yourself, people will
value you. If you give “I’m full of myself and do what’s best for me”, people
will perceive you as worthy of their respect. However, if people sense that you
look down upon yourself, no one will feel that they owe you respect and
validation.
What is funny is that a lot of people
vocally admit that they deserve to be loved and respected without loving and
respecting their own selves. Therefore, when they see other people get love and
respect, they feel sad! Almost mad at that person that earned their position
among people! As if those not getting what they want and “deserve” is someone
else’s fault.
I read a little while ago a quote that said
the world doesn’t owe you anything. You earn whatever you want in life. This
isn’t a 100% correct, yet it has some truth. The least thing you can give to
yourself is love. A kind of love that is unconditional and genuine. Love energy
radiates like crazy! And you can feel it deep inside! So never ever expect
people to give you something, for granted when you don’t firmly believe that
you deserve it. This will just get you feeling bad about yourself… which is the
last thing we preach in this house!
16.
Money mindset will change your life
forever:
Money is honey! Isn’t it? Figuratively
speaking, it is! Some things can’t happen without money… so having money will
make you feel powerful, in a way or another. Earlier, I spoke about how
material things will never fill in emotional void. Now, I will tell you how to
avoid thinking that money is the key to every problem.
In a capitalist era like ours, big heads
market the mindset of growing rich, becoming billionaires and spending without
worries. The shoes and the bags, the diamonds and jets at 25 years old,
youngest self made business owner, estate manager… these words sounded fancy
right? They can get anyone excited to go do whatever it takes to have a taste
of what it is like to be an A class human!
What we aren’t taught is that there is no
one size fits all mentality with money. Ironically, money is the only thing in
the world that comes and goes at very extreme paces. Some say, it comes so slow
and goes so fast! We might laugh at that statement. But what’s true is that we
are poorly skilled at managing our money and setting goals and priorities.
Young adults dream a lot… to the extent of dreaming way bigger and further than
what they can attain. It kind of relates closely to the “you won’t be 24
forever”. Y.A can put any amount of money to enjoy small joys in life. This
will in 90% of the time be followed by an instant regret and longer days of
anxiety. That feeling of frustration and fear of missing out will push people
in two ways: 1. Impulsive spending 2. Eager powered by frustration to earn
money anyhow. The later one can be a little challenging as a large majority
goes for credit and online transactional procedures (often questionable in
Islam). More is happiness they will think. Not really the case I believe.
17.
Expecting everything to pay back… is
draining:
This one is a little sad and serious. It
actually depends on the person’s upbringing. The way and conditions in which we
grow greatly influence the way we perceive life as Y.A.
I will give you an example: when you’re
young, you expect the world to be in awe watching whatever you do and giving
you compliments and encouragement words. In some situations, this never
happens. So the child will automatically develop this feeling of wanting to be
applauded for everything. One step before becoming an extreme people pleaser.
The people pleaser will do it all to meet people’s expectations and even exceed
them…for that one word of praise.
This all comes before starting to expect
people to do things your way and giving you back equal effort. People pleasing
is indeed a flaw and never something to brag about! It will slowly condition
you into thinking that everyone is like you… that if they don’t give back the
way you expect them to, they’re rude. They take you for granted and don’t
deserve you in their lives.
Waiting for things in return is draining…
very draining. Again, as that one quote suggests: the world doesn’t owe you
anything. If you choose to do some things, do them out of niceness and never
with the intention of getting the same energy in return. You aren’t people and
people will never be you. Your way; good or bad, isn’t a model for people to
follow.
18.
“Me Time” doesn’t have to be fancy:
Media associates “me time” with skincare,
hot tea, aesthetic hot chocolate drinks and pumpkin candles in a cozy living
room, reading a book or doing your nails. It is almost as if, anything
“unaesthetic” isn’t worth being called “me time”. I find this funny because I
honestly feel that the name implies something else! Me time is very personal.
It isn’t a routine that everyone must follow to get the same results! Your me
time can be sleeping for a whole day and living on boiled noodles! It can be
that one coke you grab at 5pm amidst doing groceries. It can be a trip
somewhere new and exciting. It can be this episode update you waited for a
week. Me time can be anything. What makes it special is that it is YOUR time.
It makes YOU happy. It eases your pain and soothes your heart. It doesn’t have
to look nice, picture worthy. In fact, your me time is often the messiest.
Being with yourself and erasing every possible barrier inside your heart.. True
and unfiltered. The truth…
Your highs and lows have an aesthetic of
their own… they’re YOUR beautiful well organized mess.
19.
There is no coping mechanism that fits
everyone:
This one point in particular is the hardest
to elaborate. It somehow relates to the one of self forgiveness and love. When
sad, a large majority of people would tell you to go pray, journal, have a walk
or even cry it out. What these people don’t know is that you can’t sit,
devastated, and try those “solutions” one by one to see which one will work
best so that you adopt it ‘in case’. It’s funny how your brain will
automatically develop its own inner speech and coping mechanism without
undergoing the pain of dealing with the multiple solutions people randomly
give.
What often leads us to seek ways to cope
with our problems with other people is the fact that we don’t process our
emotions correctly. We don’t understand what we are feeling at the moment, so
we just push it back. We end up with a pile of unresolved inner conflicts. And
as per physics, pressure will result in explosion. When we explode, we become
so desperate for anything to make us feel better whether on a long or short
term… it’s somehow like how painkillers work! It’s when you need the strongest
medication to numb the worst of pains.
20.
You can NEVER change ANYONE:
This is probably my own biggest lesson in
life. The way I grew up made me treat people like robots. In my head, I believe
that every single person knows what to do and how to do it…but I was wrong. I
am wrong. People are different. Some of them are smart, hardworking, selfless,
helpful, cool and funny. Others are superficial, selfish, hateful, uneducated
and silly. Ironically, there is no in between! Our mistake sometimes lays in
trying to get these people acting in a certain type of way! Our way! You fall
upon a narcissist and try to make them show empathy. Or convince a racially
insensitive person that slurs are disrespectful. Sorry little soul… but that is
very far from being possible.
Changing or ‘fixing’ people is that one
thing that can ruin you forever … and I genuinely mean it! It is just
impossible! How can we preach acceptance and tolerance while trying to
condition others to behave a certain way? It sounds pretty hypocritical if you
ask me!
What I’ve learnt instead, is to be
selective. Being an adult, you legally assume responsibility over your actions
and choices. People around you are part of that too. Choosing who to talk to
and interact with is very important in building a healthy life setting. Instead
of changing –or trying to change- people’s behavior, analyze it. Does it suit
your visions in terms of values and principles? Will it ever help you grow? What
are the positive aspects of keeping this person in my life? And upon your
findings, decide whether to keep this person close, limit contact with them or
even cut them off for good!
It goes both ways, you don’t have to please
to people and the same thing applies to them! That’s what’s fascinating about
it! You manage your circle and so do they… and it’s all managed by selection
and responsibility.
21.
People will never be YOU… and vice versa:
Empathy is probably one of the hardest things
to teach. Sometimes, I feel like empathetic people are born this way! I believe
I was born empathetic. Has it been easy? Not at all. Empathy; and as good as it
might sound, sucked me up for years. It drained me… over time, I became a
sponge that absorbs every bit of energy directed towards me or even not! It
takes one person to tell a story and watch me all gloomy and sad because of
that. I’m what they call “if you were in my shoes” … I perfectly fit those
shoes!
This kind of feelings pushes me to want to
help no matter what the situation is. I’d even go beyond what I can do just to
help solve a problem or clear up a situation… spoiler alert: I got tired.
I got so tired that my own problems
burdened me… that I developed avoidance just because I couldn’t process
feelings and emotions anymore. It was at that moment where I started expecting
the same energy back. I work hard for people, so they should do so for me… the
answer was no. and it broke me so bad.
I was mad and angry at the world. At how
ungrateful and undeserving of me… how could they do me this dirty! I was
shocked and helpless. I didn’t want to help or do anything because why would I?
I will be left alone if I were the one crying for help!
As I turned 24, I understood that empathy
is not a duty…That I don’t have to drain myself for anyone or anything. That
people don’t have to help if they don’t want to… that people don’t have to
mirror my reactions to events and situations just because that’s ‘what it
should be’…
People will never feel your pain… and you
will never feel theirs.
22.
Happiness isn’t the ‘Finish’ Line:
What is your definition of happiness? Among
the 7.8billion human beings on this planet, I feel like no two can seem to
agree on the same exact definition. Happiness is therefore personal. You know
what your happiness is and what it looks like. Someone’s happiness can be the
things they worked so hard to attain; while another one’s maybe their dreams of
things they may never be able to achieve. Both ways, it’s what keeps them
alive… what keeps them thriving! When I was young, I was brainwashed into
thinking that happiness is the finish line… the ‘happily ever after’
Happiness has always been painted as the
salvation, the end, the closure. It comes after the endless series of roughness,
difficulty and struggle. It fixes everything. In the mind of a teen, reaching
‘happiness’ = the end of all bad. Nothing terrible will happen again! We are
safe! Which is absolutely not true. Happiness is not the end… it never was and
it never will be. If I ask you: when was the last time you were happy? You
might recall a situation and tell it. I would ask you again: have you felt
happy again? High chances you’d say yes! Linking happiness with one given thing
is such a waste! Happiness is what we meet along the journey. It’s the small
things in life. It’s that one sandwich you got at that random street food
place! It’s that shirt you wanted so bad that was 1. On sale / and 2. You size
was the remaining one. It’s that sip of cold water after waking up from your
afternoon nap. It’s the heavenly smelling shower gel. It’s that 2 minutes encounter
with a cute dog downtown. This is happiness. We see it, feel it, are thankful
for it, and move on with life. Happiness is simple. Don’t spend too much time
looking for it because most probably you already have it! It’s just under this
giant clutter of ingratitude and complaints.
23.
It’s okay to be single:
I guess I kept this to the end –almost-
because I didn’t think of it as very important? I don’t know but you judge for
yourself! ‘Relationships’ is a very serious topic among the young adult
community. The question you’d dominantly get as a YA is: ‘when are you getting
married?’ ‘When are you having kids?’ ‘Time is running so better run with it!’
It’s fun to make memes about this on facebook and put the uninterested girl
façade! But in reality, a lot of people give in to these words. Social pressure
gets to them and they find themselves stuck in relationships. Happy or not,
doesn’t matter! At least I won’t have to smile awkwardly if they ask whether
I’ve got a special someone or not.
Again and again, over and over, your growth
history matters in such a case. The setting in which you recognize the pattern
of founding a family will change the way you think about starting one. For
example, I was born to two working individuals who had their own life struggles
alongside having children. They were college graduates, full time workers and
decently educated. Up until 14~17 years old, which is known as teenage, I
started exploring my feelings thus started reading novels in my first language, Arabic.
A weird thing was that I dropped half of them whenever I felt that the stories
were not getting anywhere…or they were plainly predictable. Factually, love was
a dominant aspect in every single type of content I’ve been exposed to ever
since I was a child. Growing up, we were programmed to think that finding a
life partner is the hardest thing ever, what comes later is problem free! Disney
and Barbie movies always end with weddings… the ‘happily ever after’… the good
end.
Books on the other hand promoted a toxic
mentality of: they must have a reason for being a bad person. You can change
them. Forgive them… because that’s love!
As days went by, and the closer I get to
the ‘age of marriage’, the more scared I get. Big part of that is: I disagree
with all of that! I can’t seem to wrap my head around this general
understanding of love. I can’t act scared or stressed because I may or may not
die alone! I don’t seem to find the fact that I’m single bad. I know what I’m
looking for in a man and I will not settle for less! The slightest detail
matters…literally the slightest. It can take this potential partner to laugh at
an insensitive joke for me to cut ties with them! Why? Because that’s one of
many things that can show you the true colors of someone. Marriage proposals
are like job interviews. You need that appeal factor. Get the dad’s approval;
Even if you have to act like a whole different person. You want that girl; do
what it takes to get her. It’s like a game that needs to be won. The reward is
underwhelming however: building a life together.
What I’ve learnt, at 24, is that marriage
will not greatly change my life. I will not even bother and speak about dating
because to an extent, dating without marriage in mind is a waste of time and
energy. So, unless you’re growing as a better person inside this relationship,
you don’t really need it. And it’s totally fine. Setting expectations is indeed
very important to any individual among us. It saves you so much time and energy
and even prevents you from getting disappointed at some point. Foreseeing a
somehow specific future with someone is a lot more worthy than getting stuck
with them not knowing what might occur along the way and at what point.
24.
Supporting others’ Growth will never slow
yours:
I’ve probably left this one to the very end
for a reason. People now speak a lot about what is commonly called ‘glowing
up’. And in simple words, glowing up is when your most perfect self comes out
to the world. To many, this is a victorious era! The salad days as old people
might describe it. However, what most youngsters ignore is that, whether
they’re aware or not, glow up puts them in a competitive mindset that is
somehow unavoidable and inescapable. Getting to see your best self will make
you feel super strong. Infallible. You might think that way of yourself. What
follows is that you’ll end up competing with yourself and others trying to
reach this ultimately perfect version of yourself. At some point, you’ll find
yourself giving in to this desire of glory and getting yourself to pits of irrationality.
You might even consider bringing other people down and ruining them just to be
seen as the best or number one.
I’ve lived with the burden of being called
a role model for a while a couple of years ago. More like four or five years to
be exact. Probably when I hit my first ‘glow up’. The more time I spent on my
own after that, the more I invested my energy into preserving this version of
me and creating a sort of pattern for others to follow. I’ve never had the idea
of ‘gate keeping’ my ‘secrets’ to happiness. Or at least what seemed to be
happiness. I knew deep down that others are also trying to grow and become
better people as well. And I knew that their efforts will never match mine and
vice versa. My pace is mine and theirs is theirs. There is room for everyone as
long as the focus is on becoming better people and building a better society.
-----------------
That was a long ride indeed! I probably
haven’t typed that many words since writing my dissertation two years ago which
still feels unreal to this day! But that’s to show you that life moves really
fast and doesn’t really wait. So take your chances while you can. Never feel
pressured to hop on every wave just because you’re young and wild. Everything
was sat and planned and God has the best things in store for you. Whether you,
dear reader, are 24 years old, younger or older, I want you to take it easy and
have faith. You’ll get where you’re meant to be one day. Trust me.
Thank you for reading today’s blog post and
making it till the end. I’ll see you in my next uploads! Stay healthy and
hydrated until then! Bye bye!
Follow me on Instagram: www.instagram.com/randaperceives
Like my Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/RandaPerceives

Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire