The Culture of Influencers on Instagram



Hello everybody, I hope you all are in the best of health!


       I hope you all are having some fun indoors! Today is my 12th day of self quarantine and I started to like this vibe actually!

       I am not gonna lie, it sucks sometimes and the outside feels super tempting but let’s hang in there a little bit. Our safety can’t be guaranteed if we hung out outside carelessly! So I hope y’all are eating clean and washing your hands regularly!

       As I told you before, and as I mentioned on socials (I leave my info at the end of every blog post so please follow me for daily chats and fun stories!), I have been doing so many things to kill time, I shared some of them in the previous post and I have been trying new things and I quite love it! I have been colouring blank drawings for fun and exploring the world of colours and it’s really fascinating! I invite you all to go print some pictures of your choice and start colouring! It is really fun and therapeutic! I hope you find peace doing this activity!

       Now as I was sitting on my own surfing on the web, I thought, why not tackle something besides COVID-19. I just got sick of everyone spreading false news and got even sicker at how some people still take it for the joke. Other people were dragging mental health to the narrative and it was suffocating to see how everyone suddenly turned into a certified therapists!! Don’t get me wrong though, but I know that everyone is suffering from something and they need serious help. Telling people to address their issues publicly instead of seeking help is not going to make anyone feel any better (At least in my very own opinion). I was going to tackle mental health but I guess I will leave it until this heat of “new experts” cools down. I will as well try to be very objective and not use any terminology that is very specific to the domain. In other words, I won’t use experts’ language whatsoever because I simply am not one.

Wooh! That was a very long intro and a very long rant as well! But I hope you got my idea!

       Now onto today’s topic! I thought why not talk about social media? Since we are quarantined and we practically spend a lot of time on the internet and specifically social media. Every one of us has their favourite site where they spend most of their time.

      For me, I spend most of my time on Instagram; which is what we are going to be talking about today.

       I will kick off today’s post by giving you some definitions of each and every aspect I’ll be talking about. I will first define what is Instagram and how it used to be in the past v/s now, then I will tackle the culture of influencers and online jobs, I will also be talking from a personal perspective about the notion of success on socials and the impact of being an influencer on individuals themselves.

       I want to tell you that I will credit the sources from which I got some of the information for this post. Non-credited passages are completely mine and reflect my own ideas. Readers are free to agree or disagree.

Now with that being said, let’s get right into it!

       If you ever decided to understand what Instagram is or you’ve never been on that platform, a quick Google search can give you a small idea on what the website/ application is. According to Wikipedia (2020), Instagram is photo and video sharing app owned by Facebook. It was created by Kevin Systron and Mike Krieger and launched in 2010 on iOS devices [less formally knows Apple devices]. In April 2012, an Android version was launched [also known as Google devices]. This application allows people to take pictures and videos and edit them using filters and editing tools. They upload them to what is called a feed; where all the pictures and videos of one user are sorted through tags and location information. The application is based on a concept of “followings/followers”. Users’ accounts can be private or public.


       I personally started using Instagram back in 2013. And back in the day; there has been NOTHING of the content we are getting now. It was quite complicated to use for so many people since it did not have the feature of uploading already taken photos. The idea of the old Instagram was to “share the moment as it happens”. There were no stories at that time and all what we could see was posts.

       The majority of the posts that circulated on IG back in 2013 until almost mid 2015 was much related to architecture.

       I remember seeing my feed flooded with beautiful pictures of old buildings in Rome, Paris and Wien. The corners were amazing and the pictures gave an aura that the person behind them is an experienced photographer. The videos on that platform on the other hand were only 15 seconds long. They were super short yet they captured quality content. When I was 16 years old, I genuinely thought that I should not be using that app. It somehow felt too much for me at that time. The quality of the content made me believe that I am too “young” for the audience on that platform. However, I tried to respect the guidance rules! I mean I wasn’t 13 duh! My followers were my classmates and friends and all we shared at that time were quotes from Tumblr and some cool pictures from we heart it! (I feel very old speaking about this)! That was besides few selfies using an app called Retrica because it miraculously made everyone look good!!

       The content on IG back in the day triggered my interest in photography and some creators still fuel that motivation inside of me. As I grew up, I believe that every one with a camera out there has their own vision. Some people take some very “visually pleasing” photos. Others take average quality pictures but with a message in them. And other people’s message is to create a technically bad photo but have a brilliant idea behind it! It isn’t actually about the picture itself but rather about the impact it leaves among viewers.

       Now if we come to today’s IG content, it feels like the app has entirely changed perspectives! It looks more like an online company with millions of workers and other millions of “followers” that keep a close eye on what is going on and get “influenced”.

       In the last three years, the thrive among Instagram creators has been “crazy”. I don’t know if I can use this word but it is what I personally feel. And as time went by, some viral IG creators started being called by a name which everyone agreed upon: Influencer.

       I decided today to provide you with more than one definition to the word “influencer”! Just because I felt like one definition can be very limited and can highlight only one idea; where many definitions can bring up many points of view about this matter.

     As found in Merriam Webster dictionary, an influencer is “one who exerts influence: a person who inspires or guides the actions of others…often, specifically: a person who is able to generate interest in something (such as a consumer product) by posting about it on social media”. Now if we go to our trusted Urban Dictionary, we would find many definitions that do (in my opinion) have such a valid point of view.

      Now as in “we talking about practice” (2018)definition, an influencer is “A word Instagram users use to describe themselves to make them feel famous and more important when no one really know who they are or care, usually the type of people that call themselves foodies and post pictures of their avocado and toast cause they can't really do anything else interesting, usually also post their last holiday asking someone to #takemeback”. Another definition suggests that an influencer is someone with lack of intelligence and a lot of free time, followed by tons of idiots on some social network, usually Instagram. "Influencers" are called so because their opinion worths something only to primates with IQ lower than room temperature, therefore those primates tend to follow influencer's actions without thinking about it. The last definition from Urban Dictionary limits the scope of being an influencer into some specific fields: “A makeup, hairstyle, or fashion blogger who is instafamous only on Instagram or buys "followers" and "likes" and gets free products from companys who fall in their trap of fake fame.”


       I want to take time to write my very own opinion about each and every definition of these ones. If we come to the very first one by Merriam Webster; I think that it is not that “aggressive and offensive” as the ones provided by UD. It somehow gives enough accuracy to the word itself. Influencers somehow guide the choices of their followers towards certain things like: clothing brands, places, foods, etc. UD somehow gives some pretty “violent” explanations in my opinion. Although as I said before, they make some sense (in my opinion). And as they almost turn around the same thing, I will tell you what I have understood. Now if I were to draw a conclusion from all three definitions, it kind of feels like these influencers exercise some sort of mass manipulation on their followers. In the sense that, people who are technically the followers; would put a blind trust in these influencers and follow their deeds and words religiously and won’t even question their actions! And it kind of feels that the one who manages to get the largest number to follow their steps blindly is the most successful!!

        As I told you in the introduction, one of the main points I want to talk about is how did this “influencer culture” shape the idea of success.

       Success is in my very simple words; the act of achieving a big goal and feeling a certain pride of accomplishment. It is not restricted to one field.

      Success on social media; however, is much related to numbers. People who do not practice “influence” would automatically think that the person with the biggest number of followers, views is the most successful. That goes besides how “trendy” they are and how much they are talked about. Little did people know that these numbers have actually nothing to do with the content these influencers provide. In the world of social media, people don’t put huge effort creating content for the sake of having some quality product; but rather put a huge effort of something that can be talked about for the longest time possible. They often rely on choosing things that grab the attention of a very specific audience to guarantee that this audience will not switch satellites (usually teenagers).the choice of audience is very smart since basically teenagers are conflicted, young and most importantly: get addicted easily. Teens would feel very curious about how it would feel to live like X or Y. they would try to dress, talk, and behave like their favourite influencer. This will result in giving more and more exposure to these influencers which will also result in: free trips, free PR packages and free publicity. And as the biggest result we would get people who are generally either teens THEMSELVES or young adults flexing huge amounts of money without basically being valid.


       The last and most important thing I will talk about is influencers themselves being in the middle of all of this. I didn’t try by any means to make influencers look like monsters saying what I said but, sometimes things can get out of control and it will affect them on a personal level. Huge exposure is inevitable lately since IG is becoming a huge trend amongst basically everyone. Going viral can be the dream of some people and can be others’ worst nightmare. Fame can get people to try and top whatever content that got them to that point of “career”. For sure, they will forever be grateful to whatever that got them known in the blink of an eye. But at the same time, it will create a huge pressure on them. According to a Youtuber called Jordan Theresa, the pressure lies in becoming obsessed by numbers and trying to top whatever content that made the influencer go viral. Getting more and more followers means that you have to please more and more people. Influencers would be called so once their “intimate atmosphere” with their small amount of followers is broken. This  will result in breaking ties with loyal fans, lazy interaction and a very busy schedule. Since they would literally be manipulated by whatever companies they have contracts with. They can also be accused of being liars since their credibility would be questionable. Huge PR packages coming to someone’s house everyday will absolutely make people think that they give positive feedback about whoever’s product that “paid them more”. It will push people to think that it is neither logical nor possible for one person to try every single product they receive and give an “honest” opinion about it. This will AGAIN result in influencers facing an extreme amount of hatred that can affect them personally besides the fact that they are social media figures.


      This blog post has gotten all over the place I feel but I hope that you guys have got the idea that I want to highlight. I tried my best to avoid saying that IG is an easy job because all you need is a phone and a good publicity but it is sadly the case. I personally cannot call it a job because, if it were for being paid for doing something: it is. But it depends on people and on numbers. If someone’s numbers drop and their popularity gets under the bus, they will literally find themselves starving. The illusion of fame and success surrounding influencers is tricking everyone into thinking that this is success which is absolutely not the truth. The bubbly world we see through a screen is what faces the camera lens and not what hides behind the device itself.

       What I want to say as well is to be wise enough as to which person to support on socials.

       Make sure you follow someone who helps you grow as a person, someone from whom you can learn and evolve and explore the best version of yourself. Follow people that would help you love yourself and accept yourself for who you are!

That’s probably the longest thing I have written in years!!!

If you made it till the end, I want to thank you so much!

      I just looked at the watch and I just noticed that I have been typing for the past hour and a half! I don’t really feel like words could give justice to my ideas but trust me, I did my best!

     I hope you leave me feedback guys! It means a lot to me!

     And although I feel super awkward asking this but please subscribe and share my content with your friends! It will help me and encourage me write more and explore more ideas with you guys!
I hope you enjoyed today’s blog post though! As always, stay healthy and hydrated!!

Please like my Facebook page for updates about this blog content. It is at:
Also feel free to follow me and DM me on Instagram at: areum_98_


Bibliography:
1-    Instagram. (2020 24). Retrieved March 26, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram
2-    Influencer. (2017, May 19). Retrieved March 26, 2020, from https://www.urbandictionary.com/
3-    Influencer. (2018, August 4). Retrieved March 26, 2020, from
4-    Influencer. (2018b, November 20). Retrieved March 26, 2020, from https://www.urbandictionary.com/

5-    Theresa, J. [https://www. youtube. com/user/snapbacksnstarbucks]. (2020 24). the unspoken truth about going viral [Video file]. YouTube. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_LhGXF_Kaw

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

24 Lessons in 24 Years 💛

"Nevertheless,..." is the reason why I am single by choice … (a kinda deep analysis)

Ramadan Routine [Quarantine Edition]